Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Katy ISD Board of Trustees, Fix THIS: Portable Education vs. Permanent Football

Following up to my earlier posts, I decided to research the portable education infrastructure that Katy ISD is grappling with.  Ask yourself...is this the best we can do for our kids' public education in a district with vast resources?  I believe (I hope) this is why the November 5 bond did not pass.  KISD Board of Trustees - please prioritize the elimination of portable education first prior to providing for more permanent football.

Katy Elementary Schools

Fun Facts: 35 elementary schools, 27 schools with portable buildings representing 77% of the schools with temporary classrooms, and 174 portable buildings in all.  This information derived from pictures from Google Maps.

Fun Conjecture: Each portable building holds two classrooms (this I know because I attended classes with my daughter), each classroom holds ~20 kids, and lets assume 80% occupancy (this is a WAG), so that is 174 * 2 * 20 * 0.8 = 5,568 children in portable education facilities.  Of the 30,602 elementary students (derived from page 35 of this presentation), I estimate ~18% are attending class in portable buildings.  Ask yourself: how many elementary school students participate in extracurricular activities that would be hosted at the new proposed football stadium?  I am going to guess none, zero.  So, $70MM that benefits none of the 30,000 elementary students while 1/5 of them attend class in temporary facilities.  Hmm...




































No comments:

Post a Comment