Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Katy ISD Board of Trustees: Reset Your Priorities

The voters spoke on November 5th and it was not even close.  Katy ISD voters, by a 55 to 45 margin, said no to extravagance over education.  The area's rapid growth has strained basic infrastructure.  In my last blog, I wrote about my experience in my daughter's overcrowded elementary school.  That school is not an exception.  In the coming weeks, I intend to document, for the benefit of Katy ISD Trustees, the scope of the problem.

This was never a battle over taxes, per se, or whether a new stadium was actually needed, or whether the trustees played loose with the justification.  A new stadium probably is justifiable.  A STEM center IS warranted (the Wall Street Journal just this morning has an article documenting MBA migration away from finance to tech).  The Ag Center is in keeping with the cultural roots of the area.  This is simply a statement about priorities.  Cover the basics first...adequate classrooms and adequate transportation.

I hope Katy ISD Board of Trustees got the message, but lets not rely on one ballot box defeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment